Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I just killed X-Force. I just killed my son.

X-Force #27      ****1/2
Writer(s): Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost
Artist(s): Mike Choi and Sonia Oback
Cover Artist: Adi Granov
Publisher:
Marvel

There had been a slight lull in the action these past couple of issues, but this issue turned up heat a couple of notches. That battle scene in the beginning was all kinds of great. First of all, it was a great use of some of the lesser known characters, such as Hellion and Surge, as well as a nice showcase of the more well known characters, such as Rogue and Iceman. That scene with Laura at Hellion's bedside just about broke my heart. Then there was the brilliant plan to send the X-Force into the future to nip the plague that is Bastion. The X-Force is a great band of mutants because of their combined abilities and that makes them quite the formidable team. And how could I review this without mentioning the scene with Hope and Cable and their heartfelt goodbyes. Those other mutants clearly have it in for Hope and personally, that's just a bunch of crap. The creative team for this book has been fantastic, superb, awesome. The writing by Yost and Kyle continues to be brilliant, especially because they are not afraid to let the artwork do all the talking in some scenes. Which is where Choi and Oback come in, and man do they bring such a presence to this book. What each of these individuals bring creates such a great book, that leaves you desperate for more. And that's exactly what you want in a comic.

Second Coming: Blind Science      ***1/2 

Writer(s): Simon Spurrier
Artist(s): Paul Davidson and Francis Portela
Cover Artist:Geral Parel
Publisher: Marvel

This was a fairly decent issue. I wasn't expected to be blown off of my feet because it was just a tie-in, but it was good. I thought that the story was fairly inventive and the artwork pretty good as well. What really helped this book move along, in my opinion, was the writing, which I found to be fairly witty and humorous at parts. Overall, unless you despise these characters it was a pretty good book.

If these two weren't enough, you can always read my DC reviews over ComicAttack.net or you can click right here.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't hate Blind Science, but I wouldn't use the word "Inventive" to describe the plot. It's been done a hundred times by every sci-fi show out there. The writing was witty, and it was an interesting look at Rao, Nemesis, and what's-his-name, but I can't say I had any strong feelings about it one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, my thing is, I haven't seen all that many sci-fi shows. I could probably list them all on my fingers and still have a couple left over I think.

    ReplyDelete