Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Talk to me!

X-Men Legacy #237 **** 
Writer: Mike Carey
Artist: Greg Land and Jay Leisten
Cover Artist: Adi Granov
Publisher:
Marvel

We are now at the final stages of this war. This issue definitely got the ball rolling for the final two issues. The action scenes in this book were fantastic. With the X-Force fighting the Sentinels in the future and the X-Men fighting the Nimrods in the present the action is non-stop. Cable and Cypher's battle to take on Master Mold was great stuff also. And while I feel Hope's anger towards Cyclops is misguided, I imagine he'd have no problem accepting any of that anger, misguided or not. That last page was just brilliant, in my opinion. Not only does it set up for the next issue, but it definitely left me wanting more.

X-Factor #206 *** 
Writer: Peter David
Artist(s): Vlanetine De Landro and Pat Davidson
Cover Artist: David Yardin
Publisher:
Marvel

This was a nice companion read to the main Second Coming story, though by all means not a necessary one. X-Factor finds their way back together, which was pretty awesome, and make a stand against Trask and his men. I really enjoy the way the creative team is handling this book. The way the characters are written really help the series as a whole, because the way in which the characters interact with one another really is what makes this series good. I loved seeing Layla make her way back to the team, as well as seeing everyone come together.

American Vampire #4 ****
Writer(s): Scott Snyder and Stephen King
Artist: Rafael Albuquerque
Cover Artist: Rafael Albuquerque
Publisher: Vertigo

I am loving this series, all four issues that have come out now. The writing is great, the artwork is fantastic. I am very intrigued to see where Pearl Jones goes from here, especially with her beau along for the ride. And who can forget the awesome Skinner Sweet and how he came to find himself trapped in a mountain. I think that it's set up in a great way, where half the book focuses on one vampire, who happens to live in one time period, and the other half focuses on the origins of this new species, which happened years ago. I can't wait to see what's in store for this new breed of vampires and what types of weaknesses the writers can come up with.

And as per usual, you can find my DC reviews right here.

2 comments:

  1. Now that I've finally at least read the comics...

    I liked Legacy, but I feel a bit like we could have shortened that slow period in the middle and dragged out the conflict with Master Mold. It felt a little too big to be wrapped up in one issue. The end did exactly what I expected, which is set up Hope to go fucking Apeshit.

    I liked X-Factor too, and I'd like them to start acting as a team again. I didn't realize until they were all together how much I don't like them apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't explain it if you asked me to. But I don't think I would have wanted the Cypher vs. Master Mold scene to have lasted longer. For one, we're not 100% sure it is over. But also, for whatever reason, I feel that if it had lasted any longer it would have been insulting to Cypher. Poor kid has got such a strange power as it is.

    ReplyDelete