Monday, June 21, 2010

Win first. Cry later.

New Mutants #14 ****
Writer: Zeb Wells
Artist: Ibraim Roberson
Cover Artist: Adi Granov
Publisher: Marvel

What a fantastic issue. I think that it is safe to say that this is the moment that we've all been waiting for. Ever since the day she was born Hope Summers has been hailed as the savior of the mutant race. And for years we've speculated just what this feisty gal would do to save the mutants and with this issue we are one step closer to figuring that out. The scene between Hope and Rogue was absolutely perfect. Scott's rally speech to the rest of mutant race to man up, was great. This issue was great because it gave you enough of each individual story to leave you wanting more without giving away too much. Also with this issue, the pace definitely is increasing. You can begin to feel it with the constant shift of focus, the bits of action here and there, and the hints of what's to come.


Supernatural: Beginnings End #6 ****
Writer(s): Andrew Dabb and Daniel Loflin
Artist: Diego Olmos
Publisher: Wildstorm

As a huge fan of the show I figured I might as well pick up this mini-series in the hopes that it kept me entertained. Well, it did that an more. This was a damn good mini-series. And while a couple issues certainly weren't great, they were still good. This issue was the final issue in the mini-series and it ended with the proverbial bang. The writing was a perfect adaptation of the characters we've come to know and the artwork worked exceptionally well with the content. I think the best part was just how well this mini-series works as an introductory read to Season 1 of the show, which is what it is, an intro. A couple of things that you may have been wondering after watching the show are answered and overall you just get a better feel to the characters.

The Walking Dead #73 ****
Writer: Robert Kirkman
Artist(s): Charlie Adlard and Cliff Rathburn
Cover Artist(s): Charlie Adlard and Cliff Rathburn
Publisher: Image

The more time that Rick and the gang stay with these people, the more I want them to leave. While I do applaud their, the people living in this town, desire to maintain a somewhat normal life in a world that is overrun by the undead, I can't help but think that they are being stupid. Not only that, these people just give off a bad vibe in general. Especially their protect yourself first attitude. It looks like Rick and the gang, as well as us, are in for a hellish time so long as these guys around. And I for one, can't wait.

As this was a light week, you can read my one DC review at ComicAttack.

3 comments:

  1. I knew you'd pick that for your entry title.

    Only a few more issues to go before this ends. I'm a little worried they're leaving too much to too few issues, but I will remain optimistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm convinced they'll do the job well. They've done a great job till now. Plus three issues is a lot of time. Especially since the last issue is an extra long one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every other sentence out of my mouth, course not literally, is "Hope is awesome." And damn straight she is. This issue was really fun. I was a bit sick in the stomach when Colossus's hand just split. But I loved Hope and Rogue, Scott's speech, Prof X's son, and X-force in the future. :]

    I too liked the Supernatural mini-series. I felt like it was an extension of the show.

    The end of the Walking Dead issue was fabulous. And I think that this town is a bit too naive and I really did not like the way they were about to abandon one of their own. I like that Rick and the gang are staying put in the town but are keeping their guard up. After the hell they were put through before this, this is like a small vacation that they need but they definitely shouldn't settle in too much.

    ReplyDelete