Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Gashapon Reviews: June 9, 2010

After getting away with just a few comics last week, this week was heavy.  But I managed to actually read everything fairly quickly in order to get this up.  Granted that was last week now.

Marvel

Uncanny X-Men #525 ****

So, Hope's powers are what exactly?  Does she just mimic the powers of mutants around her?  Is she like an Omni-mutant, who can manifest all powers?  Does she have both Scott and Jean's powers?  I have no idea what's going on, but I'm still digging this series.  I like that the Fantastic Four showed up, indicating just what a big deal this is.  Xavier has also finally decided to join the party.  Now that we've been the future and what X-Force has to face, there should be some great action scenes coming up.  Still a fun read every week and I can't wait to see how it wraps up in a few weeks.



Second Coming: Hellbound #2 ****

Well that went well.  After the first issue I thought "Yes, they need to get Magik."  After this issue I thought "This was a terrible idea."  Clearly they are all in over their heads, and I'm not sure I can see how they'll get out of it.  This whole thing with Gambit being Death is going to end very badly for everyone.  A fun read this week, though, especially with the art.

S.H.I.E.L.D. #2 ****

Two things:  1)  I love this series.  2)  I have no idea what the hell is going on.  It's a very pretty book with what I think will be a very cool story, but it's laying the mythology on so heavily at the moment that I have a hard time wading through it.  But I will definitely keep reading it.

Invincible Iron Man #27 **1/2

They're clearly setting some things up for later in the series, although I didn't read anything major this week.  But seriously, I can't get past the fact that Tony is drawn like Josh Holloway.  I think when we finally reach the action this book will really pay off, which I never thought I'd say about an Iron Man comic.

Avengers Academy #1 ***

I don't know how I feel about this.  I don't think the characters are bad, but I think they're all very trite.  You have the shy girl, the bitchy girl, the awkward girl, the big lug who's actually sweet, they guy who uses his bravado to cover his insecurity, the guy who transforms into a dinosaur.  The standard character models are standard because they work, and make for decent enough stories, but I've read enough good teen drama that I kind of want more.  We'll see how long I give this book.

Astonishing X-Men #2 **

Ugh.  I liked it more than the first one, but the art is enough to make me never pick it up again.  I never read the Ghost Boxes arc, but I got the impression I was not missing anything.  This issue is not enough to drive me to fill in the blanks in my knowledge.  Honestly my biggest problem is after re-skimming Whedon's Astonishing, this is such crap I'm offended they reused the title.

DC

Batman #700 ****

When I put aside my bias for Grant Morrison, I do admit to enjoying this book.  I thought the glimpses at different time-lines were interesting, even if I did not at all care for Damian as Batman.  Did anyone else find it interesting that the baby with the Joker face was named McGinnis?  The art gallery and the Batcave view were both interesting additions to the book, and appropriate celebrations of this particular milestone.  Really, though, if you're a comic book fan you sorta have to read these kinds of milestones I think (which is why I'll be reading Superman #700 despite not giving a crap about his character).  

Image

Chew #11 ****

A great, quirky series.  It took me a bit to get over the whole "I eat Dead People" thing, but it's funny and unique and definitely worth the read for everyone, comic fan and non-fan alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment