Tuesday, June 15, 2010

You Just Killed My Father

Uncanny X-Men #525 ****
Writer: Matt Fraction
Artist: Terry Dodson
Cover Artist: Adi Granov
Publisher:
Marvel

The action is definitely building up again. And although there was a slight lull in the action from the last issue, I thought that this issue did have certain moments that were especially good. For one, the interaction between Hope and Grandpa Summers was handled perfectly. The X-Force in the future was a great little teaser of what's to come for that group. I do appreciate the other Marvel heroes making their own appearance outside the red sphere. In some ways I feel it legitimizes the event a little more having them present, even though it's my opinion that the X-Men are the premier group of Marvel and not the Avengers. It wasn't the best issue but it did set up the future pretty well. Now it's just a waiting game to see how Hope's powers manifest, what role Legion will play, how the X-Force handles the future, and how Scott manages to save the Mutants. 

Second Coming Revelations: Hellbound #2 ***1/2
Writer:Christopher Yost
Artist(s): Harvey Tolibao with Tom Raney
Cover Artist: Marko Djurdjevic
Publisher: Marvel 

I'm still not fully certain whether or not this mini-series will tie into the main story. That being said, I was thoroughly entertained by this issue. First and foremost I have to mention Gambit, aka Death, who is on a mission to take over in Hell. It was also amusing whenever one member of the rescue team thought days had passed since they separated, when in reality only minutes and hours had passed. I will be the first to admit that I have no love for Magik, but I am fairly intrigued as to how this whole Pixie wanting her soul back will work out. That coupled with Gambit who is looking to amass more slaves than anyone else in hell, leaves a whole lot of work for the rest of the rescue team.

S.H.I.E.L.D. #2 ***1/2
Writer: Jonathan Hickman
Artist: Dustin Weaver
Cover Artist: Gerald Parel
Publisher: Marvel

I really enjoyed this issue, though I can't exactly pinpoint why. I thought the artwork continued to be great. The writing was nice too, although I will admit I'm no one hundred percent on where the story is headed. I can say that I understand enough to be interested in the future of Leonid. Leonardo DaVinci is presented exactly as how I would expect him to be in real life, very wordy, a touch of crazy, and slightly confusing. I found it amusing that the two agents were named Stark and Richards. Coincidence? I doubt it.

And as usual, you can find my DC reviews at ComicAttack.

1 comment:

  1. The scene between Hope and Cyclops was awesome. I was definitely curious, last issue, about why the hell Scott was saying the things he said to Emma with Hope right next to them, but if the reasoning was so this scene could happen, it was great. X-Force’s part in this issue was exciting as well, and definitely a fun little teaser.

    Gambit rocks! Also, go Sam! And, boo Magik!

    Shield was interesting. I'm definitely loving the art and I'm pretty sure I know what's going on, but then again, I can't be too sure of that... :)

    ReplyDelete