Thursday, June 17, 2010

Gashapon Reviews: June 16, 2010

I skimmed through New Avengers, but I already have enough to read and I'm frankly just not feeling it.  And I bought Enter the Heroic Age #2, but those things are so difficult to write a decent review for.  More to the point, I wanted to get a review post out on time rather than a week and a half late as per my recent MO.

DC

Brightest Day #4 ***

Hmm.  Each issue here is far too jam-packed with story, with the end result that none of the story is developed especially well at any one time.  Each issue makes me more and more sure that the collected edition will be very cool (if slightly schizophrenic), but I have a hard time really getting into each issue..  Like, this week I wanted more of the Hawks debating about that gate, and less of Firestorm.  Sidenote:  Did I completely miss Black Lantern Firestorm, or did they just put him on the cover to lure in readers?  It was only a matter of time before someone came in and demanded that Deadman use his ring to bring a person back to life, I just wish it wasn't Hawk, who I hate.  At this point, my ratings are more a combination of the issue and the series, rather than just the issue, because the issue I wasn't quite feeling the 3 stars.


Birds of Prey #2 ****

Awesome book.  I loved watching Canary debate what to do with the cops and Oracle bracing herself for the battle ahead.  With the exception of Hawk, who I'm not sure I will ever like, I enjoy watching the whole team.  And I'm so damn curious who the woman in white is, and why she hates the Birds so much.  Only thing that bothers me is why someone from the Justice League isn't stepping in and saying "Uhm, no, that's not true," but I recognize that these news stories develop a life of their own.  I think this is going to be a terrific run, and I'm so glad I picked it up.

Marvel

New Mutants #14 ****

If I compare the Second Coming story arc to a roller coaster, then this is definitely the issue where you're perched at the top of the hill about to go plummeting down.  I really get the feeling that the last 3 issues of Second Coming are going to be a return to the pace of earlier in the series, which I think is a terrific way to end things.  Readers are willing to forgive a slow middle section if you book-end that with awesome.  Favorite scene without a doubt (even if I expected it) is Hope cocking her gun and saying "Come with me then."  Now if only her powers would kick in, that would be special.

2 comments:

  1. Someday I will remember to do the page break before I publish my reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Black Lantern Firestorm is playing a role in the way Firestorm's powers are acting.

    Why do you hate Hawk?

    I love Hope even more right now, because she doesn't have powers. She's just so badass.

    ReplyDelete