Sunday, February 28, 2010

Even dead, he saved us

Good day all. So I'm here early this week. I get my comics on Saturdays while I'm in school, time constraints and all that, but I got home today and I just zipped through them. I usually try to space 'em out a bit, but I was in a mood or something.

On that note, I should just add that the comics I read today were all damn good stuff.

Blackest Night #7 ****
Now I normally do not review Blackest Night, only its tie-ins, but like I said, I've been feeling crazy good today. Those of you reading know the history, those of you who aren't reading it, well, ya'll are fools. Now that we know who the fools amongst us are, I'll continue. Was that an action packed book of goodness or what. Seeing as this is my first Blackest Night review, I can't go one sentence further without praising Ivan Reis on the fabulous artwork that has graced these pages. Geoff Johns sure can write, but the artwork has definitely made an equivalent impact. One of the greatest things about comic books, in my opinion (and therefore should be your opinion,) is the symbiosis of art and literature. There aren't too many places where both the artistic and linguistic ability are of importance, and definitely not nearly as much as it is in comics. But I digress. These two men have weaved an amazing story. Not to imply in any way that the authors and artists of Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps have not made also been a crucial aspect to the Blackest Night story.

So I want to do this review, specifically this issue, in a different manner. Instead of commenting on everything that happened, which I will wishfully rely on Matt to do, I will leave you all with questions that I have.

.5. (This one is residual) Who has Parallax?
1. What happened to Scarecrow?
2. What will truly become of the Guardian who has pledged himself to Larfleeze?
3. Who is stuck in the Battery?
4. What role will Dove be playing?
5. If Black is death will White be Birth or Life?
6. Can we stop calling them the Sinestro Corps now?

And if that doesn't entice all you non-readers to reader, I have nothing left for you.

Blackest Night Green Arrow #30 ****
So a fellow comic book lover, also known as Andy my comic book store guy (which reminds me that I was going to do something) expressed that this was his best read of the week. And having read certain unrevealing reviews about Blackest Night 7 (remember I only picked them up today) I thought, hm that's interesting. But I read it, and it was awesome stuff. Gut wrenching, stomach churning, tension building, good stuff. Hence my reviewing it now and not later in my Blackest Night tie-in post.

I'm a fairly recent follower of the Emerald Archer, that's the Green Arrow to all you non-followers, and his entourage (Arsenal, Speedy, Green Lantern the second, and Black Canary.) But what I've read, I have loved. This issue, written by Los Angeles local JT Krul (who I'm told goes to my comic book shop!) was amazing good stuff. If you recall, there have been some really strange tie-ins that felt out place and were just really not good (yes, I'm looking at you especially Doom Patrol). This issue was amazing good stuff. The artwork was done by Diogenes Neves, who I will confess I had not heard of until this moment. That was both my and your loss, because the artwork was great stuff, fantastic stuff. (p.s. just looked him up, he apparently has been doing the art for New Mutants. Now I blame myself for not knowing of him)

As is the fashion of the Blackest Night Tie-Ins following the protagonist who has been recruited by the Black Lantern Corps, in this issue we are privy to the thoughts of the mind-trapped Ollie. The scenes that depicted his interactions with Dinah, Mia, and Connor Hawke were painful to read, emotionally painful. Any writer that is capable of taking a single tie-in issue and make it feel like you're skidding uncontrollably down the street, must be commended. Black Lantern forcing Dinah to relieve Ollie's affairs, forcing Connor to relieve Ollie abandoning him, and making sexually motivated indications to Mia was emotionally draining, in a most excellent way. Pick this one up folks, you won't regret it.

Gotham City Sirens #9 ****
Continuing on with the greatness that is this week in comics. Paul Dini is back on as writer, after taking a break last issue allowing Guillem March take a crack at it, and I'm liking this direction. I fear I may become redundant in saying the artwork in this series has been amazing, but I will continue to praise Guillem for it. His depictions of Harley, Selina, and Pamela are amazing enough to give any other artist a run for their money. And Paul Dini, who is back on next issue for Streets of Gotham (woot) has been doing great stuff wit this series. This mini surrounds a murder mystery, the reintroduction of the Riddler into the story, and Aesop come to life, yes the fables man. The Riddler thinking/talking to himself is great stuff. What I'm also loving about this issue is the gals' attempts at maintaining a quasi normal life. Adopting Hyenas, sparring with Wildcat, and chemically inducing a job approval, yea, normal. I'm not exactly sure how connected Streets of Gotham and Batman are, or how connected Dini and Daniel are, but I'm pretty sure I can see where things are going with the Riddler. It's fairly unfortunate, because I've been liking this Private Eye Edward Nigma.

Batman and Robin #9 ****
This was the culmination to Grant Morrison's very own Blackest Knight. I will admit to two things. I liked this story more than I anticipated I would and I can't stand the way that Morrison has portrayed Dick in this story. This story tied up a couple of loose ends that I had been thinking about, frayed ends that had come about because of Morrison mind you One, was that actually Bruce's body that Superman pulled out of the wreckage? Answer, nope. Who's body was it then? Answer, mind-fucked, crazy clone. The interactions between Dick and Damian are always entertaining, though I'm not particularly fond of the Damian of Batman and Robin. More importantly, I've greatly enjoyed Batman and Robin up through the Red Hood's story and I enjoyed having the Squire back in the mix. However, in this story specifically Morrison turned Dick into this desperate man, that I know him not to be, which is really my only issue.

Tiny Titans #1 ***
I got this free in the mail with a couple orders I made. And how fun is this series. I know it's on number 25 now, I've been meaning to pick that one up but it's no longer in my comic book store, and therefore this is not a "new" issue. But since I just read it, it will be reviewed here. Sometimes it's nice to just read for entertainment's sake. That's exactly what this is. It's fun, filled with short stories, and just pure entertainment. If any of you have kids, you should think about investing in getting them to read this. And for those of you that are still a kid at heart, pick this up for the pure fun of it. Aww Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment