Thursday, February 18, 2010

Gashapon Reviews: February 10, 2010


It's a miracle this got up at all. At least it was a short week.

Marvel:

Dark X-Men #4 (***1/2)
I love anything with Nate Grey. Which I say every month. But watching him manipulate Osborn is tremendous fun. Osborn is clearly off his rocker, and it's nice to see someone call him on that shit. And can I just say "Finally!" as regards Green Goblin showing up. He's been around in the background once or twice, but once that door gets opened there's no going back. And does it seem to anyone else that we have a lot of ends to wrap up between now and the end of the next issue, which is when I thought this whole thing ended? Now if only I could figure out how this whole arc fits into the Siege storyline I'd be a lot happier. Though not as happy as I will be if X-Man sticks around for a bit.



New Mutants #10 (****)

I really enjoy this book, mainly because I think it has some great potential. All of the other X-books, except occasionally Legacy, tend to focus more on the older characters, and I think it's nice to see a young team out there fighting. And between Scott's ulterior motives and Bootleg Illyana, I think the storyline has a lot of places to grow if they can just make it through Second Coming. I like Cannonball a great deal, and I've always loved Cypher for reasons I don't quite understand myself. I wouldn't be upset if Warlock got recycled for spare parts, and Sunspot can grate on me a little , but overall I really enjoyed this sorta-stand-alone issue. You can tell, however, that all the books are wrapping up in preparation for Second Coming.

X-Men: Pixie Strikes Back #1 (**)

I'm not sure if something happened that will make sense in hindsight, because I got to the end of this and had no idea what the hell I had just read. Best I can figure Pixie has been taken somewhere and is under some kind of enchantment? Are the other girls with her? And who was her father? Clearly I'm supposed to know, but I get very hazy with all the different demons in the Marvel universe. Used to be I could claim I didn't read the books where such events may have taken place, but since I am more than current with the X-Universe I think I'm supposed to be confused. I'm just hoping I'm not going to get to issue 4 and go "What a frigging waste of time this has been." That hope is what earned this issue two stars rather than one. I like complex storylines that you have to pay attention to, but it's a very fine line between "OMG AWESOME" and "You're trying too hard". Wow I used a lot of quotes to describe this really not-so-good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment