Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Hey, look, I read a Trade!

It happens sometimes. I stumble upon a Trade paperback at the local libs and decide to fill in some gaps in my comics knowledge. I actually love Trade Paperbacks, but as I'm 8 kinds of broke at the moment (with 2 more kinds in development), I can't afford them so often. And the library near my parents' house wasn't always the most up-to-date. Hopefully the local one now will be better.


Before a couple months ago, my only real knowledge of Green Lantern came from the Justice League cartoon. Sure, I knew who Hal Jordan and Kyle Rayner were, but the only heavy exposure I had was from John Stewart in the cartoon. Then, and I honestly don't remember why, I decided to start reading Blackest Night. I'm a sucker for events, I guess. Because of that, I figured I'd go back and catch up on random things.

But in the spirit of all the Green Lantern love going on in these parts lately, I decided to read Green Lantern: Secret Origin and Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War (parts 1 and 2, and Tales of). And since is, y'know, a comic blog, I figure let's write a review. Also, not gonna lie, I'm giddy that I'm more or less up-to-date and that work is slow. And I feel a rush whenever I get to create a new Tag.

I think Sinestro Corps War came out before Secret Origin, but this is the order I read them in.

Green Lantern: Secret Origin (****)

Again, thanks to a passing knowledge of Green Lantern (aided by Green Lantern: First Flight), I sort of knew how Hal Jordan came to be the Green Lantern. Abin Sur crashes and the ring chooses him, and no one can believe a human could be a lantern. What I found interesting about this was all of the set-up for Blackest Night. Now, I realize this was a ret-con of sorts (although I'm not sure the full extent) and to be honest I hate ret-conning in general, but I think it would have been cool to read this last year and be teased with all this BN stuff. Seeing Atrocitus pre-Red Lantern, and watching Sinestro clearly heading towards Crazy, it's all kind of filling in gaps.

Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War (****)

I've been debating with myself if I should do one longer review for all three books, or a smaller review for each, and I think I'm going to stick with the longer one namely because I don't have that much to say. Overall I enjoyed the Sinestro Corps War books, mainly because I like war and I like power rings. I'm a little hazy on how exactly Sinestro came to not only have a yellow ring but control a whole army, but I get enough of the gist to follow that this is not a group that should be fucked with. I think I was most interested in three things in this whole story:
  1. Cyborg Superman wanting to die but being denied time and again, and doing all of this random shit just so the Anti-Monitor would kill him. Tragic Villains are so much more compelling. Look at Atrocitus as well. It's not easy to feel compassion* for the bad guy, and I appreciate when writers can make me feel that.
  2. The Guardians, just in general. I really don't see these little men (and women; who knew the women were the bald ones?) as good guys, and I love that Ganthet and Sayd were like "You bitches are CRAZY." Their new laws authorizing Lethal Force? Isn't compromising your principles like a universal sign of the End? Just look at the Republican Party. I'm excited to see what the other six new laws are, since I reckon the Guardians have completely lost their minds.
  3. The Antimonitor turning into the Black Lantern. Namely because I love all Blackest Night stuff.
I think both Sinestro Corps War and Secret Origin are pretty important parts of the GL continuity, and while they're not required reading for Blackest Night I definitely think they're worth picking up if you've got some time.

* Am I the only one who, after reading Blackest Night, now thinks in colors rather than emotions? "Gee, I feel a lot of Indigo for him after his wife got sick."

3 comments:

  1. I'm banking on that being just a you thing. The color thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I would never actually say a sentence like that. But I definitely see color in my mind with certain emotions now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some colors that do have more of an effect for me, red, green, blue, orange, being the ones. Indigo, I don't particularly think of, the violet that is used seems more like pink than violet, so I've always found that strange, and yellow, I don't particularly care for.

    ReplyDelete