Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Get these men out of here before they contaminate the scene

"You mean the detectives?"-Gordon

So my only review this week, strangely because I feel like I read so many things. Oh that's right, yall will get a January special Blackest Night Tie-In. And believe me you, there are some great ones.

Streets of Gotham ***
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this issue. A couple things that piqued my interest. For one thing, Paul Dini, who has been the writer for SoG, except for a short mini-series, from the beginning did not write this issue. I was not expecting that and I'm afraid I might have missed his writing. Which isn't to say the writing was bad, the flow just felt detached from the plot. It's almost like there was a deviation from the plot. Furthermore, the artists, Dustin Nguyen, I don't know if I'm going crazy but I feel as if he has somehow tweaked his drawing technique; either him or the inker, Derek Fridolfs. Either way when I read it, I immediately felt an artistic change, but this wasn't as bad as the writing change. I thought the art was still great. Dustin Nguyen is a great artist. All in all, not a bad issue, I'm just slightly confused as to how everything ties in.

Uncanny X-Men 520 ***
Hey look kids, I'm reviewing Uncanny this week. So as a self-proclaimed artist, or at least a budding self-proclaimed artist, I'll talk about the art first. I actually think that Greg Land is one of the best artists that Marvel has. I absolutely loved his work in Phoenix Endsong and all of his work in Uncanny has been great. This issue was ok, but it wasn't the greatest. I detest Namor and everything he stands for. I loved the interaction between Scott and Erik, I thought everything worked well in those scenes. I'm interested in how things will turn out for Logan and co. and also whether or not Phantomex will join in. Note, interested with how it will turn out, not excited at what happened in this issue.

Stay tuned, next week is gearing up to be a biggie.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for covering me for Uncanny. I could not get my hands on it.

    I have to say I was bored. I'm very seldom a fan of any story revolving around Logan, although Phantomex amuses me. I hate Namor and am counting the days until he leaves, but their beef with Mags is getting old. I get why they hate him so much, especially Scott, but Erik has a very valid point: If Beast had built a giant tower under the island they'd throw him a damn parade. I guess part of me feels like Scott is not in a place to be turning away potential allies, especially Mutant ones. I'm far more pragmatic here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't exactly say that everyone hates Erik. Maybe right after House of M, but right now it's more that they don't feel that they can trust him. And by doing what he did, and not telling Scott, he's proven them right. For sure if Beast had done it, they would have praised him, but two things. One, Hank has never done anything to make Scott question his loyalty and two, Hank has been Scott's ally from the beginning. Furthermore, I think what Scott realizes is that an ally who will act without consulting the leader, isn't much of an ally.

    ReplyDelete