Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Gashapon Reviews: January 20th, 2010


If I could have found Uncanny earlier, this would not have been nearly as delayed. Ironically right when I told Arnab to review it, I found the damn thing. Here's everything else I read last week:

DC

Green Lantern Corps #44 (***)

I'm not sure what I should say about this issue. Unfortunately for the Blackest Night series I'm comparing everything to the main title, and since so little I've read pretty much ever can compare to that, other reviews are taking a hit. It's not that I didn't enjoy GLC, it's just that I wanted...more. I'm always amused when Mogo shows up, but I think I'm over Guy as the Christmas Lantern. It was really cool when it first happened, but now that we have to deal with the consequences I find I'm not so invested. Maybe it was just an off week for me.



Blackest Night: Flash #2 (***)

Same problem here I had with GLC. I wouldn't say it's a bad issue, but at the end I just thought "Ok, I'm ready for more Blackest Night Main title." Watching Barry as a Blue Lantern is cool, and I enjoy it very much, but I don't care about his rogues gallery. With almost every tie-in of Blackest Night (except Titans), I find I have to really care about these characters that are meeting their deceased loved-ones for the issue to hold much interest, and there are only a handful of characters I care about in the DC universe. Who Mr.Freeze-wanna-be meets really doesn't affect me one way or the other.

Marvel
Dark Avengers (**1/2)
I felt like I missed an issue. When did blondie blow off the Sentry's face? Not that it seems to have mattered much. I feel like I know where the Sentry's schizophrenia is headed, and I don't like it. He's so freakishly powerful that the only possible way he could be defeated is if the human inside wins out for a split second and either destroys himself or runs away. Shades of Dark Phoenix. I do think, now, that the Sentry is actually Osborn's secret weapon to keep the Cabal in order. Osborn appeals to the Dark Side and prays that nothing goes wrong. We'll see if I'm right.
Dark Wolverine (***)

Hey, look! I read a Wolverine title! First let me say I find Daken's mohawk to be distracting. Second let me say that I hate books that do not have a very obvious place in the continuity. *spoiler alert* If Daken stabs Osborn in the face, then how does Osborn get around to taking down Thor? Or did Thor happen earlier? It's all very unclear, and that annoys me. But I enjoy watching Daken's interactions with everyone, and I think I might, possibly, consider reading more books with him. As long as Logan isn't in them.

2 comments:

  1. edit: "Unfortunately for the Blackest Night series I'm comparing everything to the main title, and since so little I've read pretty much ever can compare to that, other reviews are taking a hit."
    GLC: What I'm getting out of dual ring wielding Guy, is the extent at which a power ring can alter one's perceptions.
    DA: She blew his face off in D.A. #9. I'm not sure if I'm confused, but I was under the impression that it was not schizophrenia. I thought this issue clarified that Bob had made a pact with Galactus, of Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer fame. And seeing as Galactus is a cosmic being, like the Phoenix, his power level would be explained.
    DW: I like Daken's mohawk. I also find him amusing, much more so than his father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re GLC: Yeah, I think you're right. I think I was just sorta blah last week outside of comics and it bled over.

    Re DA: I saw that the Sentry said he was Galactus, Devourer of Worlds (and bitch, I know who Galactus is :P), but it was such a small comment I felt like I was missing something. Like, if he's really Galactus, shouldn't that be kind of a HUGE deal (no pun intended)?

    ReplyDelete