Saturday, December 12, 2009

"Well, Bruce isn't here anymore, now is he?!?"

So I figured since Matt had a cool title for each of his posts, that I would get one myself. However, after a very long deliberation, and many options, I ended up going with another idea. That idea being, that I would just use a line from one of the comics I was reviewing.

Batgirl #5 ****
Well hot damn folks. I can say this much, that was pretty damn awesome. I can't say that I have loved the past issues, because I haven't. I mean, I've loved Barb, who is hands down my absolute favorite living female character. In all honesty, she's probably my favorite female ever. Jean Grey, as much as I love her, is more like number 1.2. This issue was great. Barb's interactions with Dick was awesome. Stephanie's interactions with Damian were highly amusing. I don't like where things are going with St. Nick. The ending cliffhanger was genius, because I did not anticipate it happening, at all.

Red Robin#7 ***
A couple of things about this one. I'm pretty sure I want this story arc to end. The Counsel of Spiders have the potential to be interesting, and I should add he the final pages did increase my level of interest. I did think that there was a slight moment in the issue where Tim may have begun to question his choice of actions, and I will welcome that realization at any point. Tammy Fox, I don't particularly care for her. She seems useless. Vicki Vale's role in the future might make things interesting for the Wayne clan, not so much the Bat clan, if you get my drift. All in all, I love Tim, love how he continues to kick ass and get his way everywhere. And so much has happened to this kid, that you just can't not like him. I just don't know where the writers are planning on taking this and I don't know if they're doing him justice.

World's Finest
The premise behind World's Finest amuses me. It's basically what would happen in the world, if all of the main Superheroes were gone, which they are not. Well, that could be debated.

1. This one came out a while ago. I enjoyed it. It had Red Robin and Nightwing (for those of you who don't know, Nightwing is Clark Kent's adoptive son Christopher.) I thought for just a one-shot this team up was fun. Nightwing and Red Robin worked well together as a unit, plus this reminded me that I was out of touch in all things Superman, other than Superboy. ***

2. This one involved Robin and the Gaurdian. I gotta say that while I don't like Damian, I do find it enjoyable when other characters pick on him. I wouldn't necessarily consider this a team up, seeing as for the most of the issue the Gaurdian was trying to arrest Robin, but their interaction was fun. There was a part in particular which showed Damian's dedication to his father, as well as a part that showed where Damian existed on the superhero totem pole (not high, kid.) ***


Adventure Comics ****
So I thought I would do a review of the series from the renumbering. Superboy is probably the only "Super"-person that I care enough about to follow. I don't hate any of the others, I just don't care to care. Now, I think that Geoff Johns is a fabulous writer. I am in awe of just how many things he has going on write now. The writing in Adventure comics has been great, the story has been cool. I totally dig the internal struggle of good and evil-Superman vs. Lex thing going on in Connor's head. I love that Connor is Tim's best friend and I like that Connor is taking a moment to just be a kid. The interactions between Con and Tim, Martha, Cassie, and even Krypto are just great to read. Frank Manupul is a tremendous artist. If nothing I've said makes you want to read this, the art alone should be enough. It's some of the most beautiful artwork you will see being produced on a monthly basis (at least for one more month.) Sadly, Geoff Johns and Frank Manupul will be leaving after the 6th issue. There haven't been that many, I suggest you all just go out and read these. Pronto.

p.s. Adventure Comics 4/5 are Blackest Night tie-ins and will be reviewed in my Blackest Night tie-ins part 2 post.

Berserker #3 **1/2
I thought the premise to this comic was pretty cool. The Berserkers being this ancient mythical race of Norse warriors who fought with an uncontrollable rage, and the comic following their modern day ancestors. I thought number 3 was a tad bit bloody and much more gore-y than needed. I also am beginning to prefer Farris' character to Aaron's. All in all, not bad. But I might have to let this one go, seeing as I can't afford all the comics I buy.

1 comment:

  1. So, after a lot of harassing I read Batgirl 1-5 and I am not a fan of Stephanie Brown. The saving grace of Batgirl is Barbara and Batgirl #5 was fun. I still cringe at the scene's with Dick and Barbara, as I just want them to get together dammit! (St. Nick better step off) But more seriously, the scene's where intense and harsh and fabulous. Damian was hilarious because, and it's the one thing we have in common, he dislikes Stephanie.

    Red Robin is always an interesting read and I would love it more if Tim wasn't connected to Ra's al Ghul and his people. Even still, this issue did attract my attention with the way it ended and the creepy Council of Spiders dudes.

    And I agree with the four stars you gave Adventure Comics because I'm really enjoying it. Superboy is interesting both physically and emotionally and Krypto is super cute. :]

    ReplyDelete