Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Gashapon Reviews: December 2, 2009

Another week, another set of comics! Blackest Night is back, although not as strong as last week. And somehow Uncanny is back again.

Eventually I'm going to run out of Gashapon pictures available on the internet.

Spoilers abound, watch your step.

Marvel:

Uncanny X-men #518 (**1/2)

After such a remarkably enjoyable issue last week, this week was just so NOT enjoyable. I won't say it's bad, but it was just sort of boring, and it really didn't feel like much happened. Who didn't think that this "psychic surgery" was going to be a terrible idea? Also, I find myself not caring much about Hank having issues, or about the island sinking. But I'm going to need a REAL good explanation as to why the Void chose Scott over an Omega Level Telepath. Scott's got a lot of power, but seriously?



Dark Avengers Annual #1 (***)

While I'm not sure I care for his new look, I'm interested in Noh-Varr's new power set, and I'm very happy that he's anti-Osborn. This whole Dark Reign thing was cute but I'm definitely ready for it to end, and I'd prefer it ends with some good action. I'm glad to know the appearance at the end was supposed to be a surprise, because I definitely didn't know that was happening. The fight between the Sentry and Noh-Varr was cool, though. I think I actually really like his character, after this and The List: Wolverine.

Siege: The Cabal (***)

I love watching Loki play Osborn like a fiddle. Norman thinks he's got it all figured out, and Loki is ten steps ahead of him. As I mentioned above, I'm done with this whole Dark Reign business, and I really just want Norman Osborn to get what's coming to him. I'm curious what Osborn has in the shadows, and more importantly how he got it to stay there, that has that kind of power. The one problem I have is that I know what happens to Asgard, so some of the suspense is missing. But wow, the catalyst that gets it there? I'm actually excited for the Seige to start now after that preview, even if I'm not the biggest fan of Stark, Cap, or Thor.

X-Force Annual #1 (****)

This was a hard one to rate. First, I hated the art. I thought it was faded and just kinda yucky all around. I'm also not the biggest fan of Wolverine, or of excessive violence. But when the general made that sacrifice, it kinda won me over. As Wolvie said, "That's Hardcore," and it kind of made me appreciate the story. But the real reason this got four stars was because of the Deadpool story at the end. First things first, WHAT thing with Jean? What the hell is he talking about? That's the biggest thing I can remember from the whole comic. But Deadpool is always a good time, and the inclusion of his story took this from a "Eh, ok" to a "You should read this."

DC:

Blackest Night: Wonder Woman #1 (***)

Since this is a clearly short arc, part of me feels like I should wait to review the whole thing. But the story came out this week, so I'll do a short thing. Not having read the Maxwell Lord story, some of the impact was lost on me. I think I don't like that Diana is just all about the love, but we'll see how that unfolds. Part of me wishes I could have read the complete BN:WW arc before reading BN 5, since I know what's going to happen, but it's far too early to judge the whole side arc. I gave it 3 stars to remain neutral for now. One thing I did completely forget that Arnab just reminded me of was the surprise that her Lasso could do waht it did. I forget how little we know about what exactly is going on.

Blackest Night: The Flash #1 (***)

This I enjoyed more than WW (even though in general I like WW more) because you really see Barry deal with his whole "I was dead and now I'm not" thing. Diana just seemed kind of cold to me, but Barry really seemed to be struggling with things. I realize of the various BN tie-ins I've read, this is the first one where the main character understood exactly how the Black Lanterns work, which makes it a little more interesting. I'm curious to see if the tie-ins in part 3 take an even different tack.

I'mma let Arnab talk about Psylocke, cause I'm about burned out for one night.

No comments:

Post a Comment