Monday, December 7, 2009

Gashapon Reviews: December 9, 2009


Yes, Yes. I'm aware this is over a week late. It's Christmas and my boyfriend is town and I'm starting a new job and a new play and trying not to get fired from my old job. Times are tough.

Marvel:

Dark X-Men #2 (****)

Given that Jean Grey could just sit and stare at the reader for a whole book and I'd be titillated, it should be no surprise that I also love her super-powerful genetic offspring Nate Grey. In fact when I (frequently) think of what character I would most want to be, his name is always top of the list. His name also appears rather high on the list of characters I would sleep with, but that's a different post. So the fact that he's back makes me happier than words. And the fact that he's running about in the collective unconscious of humanity is cool on so many levels. That he took out this giant conglomeration of psychics to do it is just icing on the cake. His response at the end, "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?" is very similar to mine when I came (back) to the Marvel universe. If you think about it a lot of random shit has happened the last few years, and hopefully Nate Grey can go about setting things straight. With increasing frequency though I'm wondering what Mystique is doing with Osborn. Or perhaps more to the point, with increasing frequency I'm wondering if Mystique is working against Osborn.

Nation X #1 (**1/2)

These anthology stories can be so...boring. Obviously they provide short bursts of character development with ideas that clearly couldn't sustain themselves through a whole book, but because the stories are so short, and because these characters have been around for decades and are thus pretty well developed, I'm always kinda bored after reading them. I have a hard time picking any one story that really grabbed me. There are parts I enjoyed (The cover, Anole saying "Fuck That", Bobby teasing Namor, "Psylocke or Domino?" "British or Japanese Psylocke?", the giant X memorial) and parts I didn't (The art for wolvie and kurt, Magick being a bitch). I don't expect the next volumes will be much different, but I guess it's good to check in on characters from time to time, especially if we get to see Northstar actually be gay for once.

X Necrosha: The Gathering (***1/2)

Seriously, my first thought upon reading this is "Why doesn't Selene wear some real fucking clothes?" My second thought is how I continually get annoyed when the artist is not the same throughout a work. Each section changing style throws me off, especially when I don't like the art of some of the sections. But after I got over those two thoughts, I kind of enjoyed this. In the overall scheme of things I don't think it's vital plot information, but it supports why Selene's Merry band of Murderers came together, which is kinda interesting. I think it would mean more to me, especially Wither and Blink and Mortis, if I had read their original appearances so long ago, but I think this was a better book than Nation X.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't say Mystique is working with Osborn, but rather staying alive. After all, there is a bomb taking up residence within her, thanks to a one Osborn. And like Dark Beast said, her interest in Nate is most likely as a means to setting herself free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. re the gathering, i agree, i dont know how some of those artists are still employed. i did enjoy the selene squat before blink though, very nice, giving it full tackle. anyway, wither was cool cause selene had him quite a long time ago, and i didnt really understand why, so it's nice to see some roots

    ReplyDelete