Sunday, May 2, 2010

I-I wish I could do more but I can't. I can't go any faster...

Even if the thought occurred to you then, you never thought you'd actually be able to do harm to your parents.

Streets of Gotham #11 ****
I can say this week after week, but until you actually pick up the book you guys won't ever really know just what you are missing out on by not reading the Bat-titles. And to those of you who are thinking, why would you need to read 5 books about Batman,ere given the pleasure of witnessing young children locked in cages like animals. It turns out that Mr. Zsasz over here not only has been kidnapping orphans but forcing them to fight one another for the pleasure of his customers. Enter Damian. This little guy, who is becoming a bit more likeable with every issue, has deemed himself the protector of children around the world. This was another great notch in Paul Dini's book of Gotham stories. And man does Dustin Nguyen have the amazing ability to take Dini's words and bring them to life. Great series, great issue, just great stuff.

Supergirl #52 ***1/2
This was a pretty good issue. General Zod is no longer trapped to the confines of the bottle city of New Krypton, along with a handful of his soldiers and ready to take on Brainiac. On the other side of the ship Brainiac 5 is on an adventure with his one time, future girlfriend Supergirl, on a mission to take out Brainiac's ship's power core. Luckily, they succeed, and as a result the good old Man of Steel is able to burst onto the stage. Back in the bottle city of New Krypton Lex Luthor shrunk himself, made a visit to his "buddy" Reactron, and then left without him. Hmm, I wonder what he took with him.

Surprisingly I've enjoyed the Supergirl title, at least what I've read of it. And the name Sterling Gates always brings a smile to my face, it should also be noted that his writing is good stuff as well. The artwork is probably the best of Super-books at the moment.

Green Lantern #53 ****
If Brightest Day #0 could be considered a slow but steady start, which I did, Green Lantern should be considered the faster paced brother. It started off with Green Lantern's premiere couple, Hal and Carol out on a  fun date in the skies. Turns out Mr. Sunburnt himself, Sinestro, did not get the memo. But what's that, under all those insults, news about the location of the White Lantern?
There were two parts to this issue that really piqued my interest, suffice to say the aforementioned one was not it. The first, is the crazy guy on that planet with the large stones. First of all, what's up with those images of Blackest Night he's got engraved. And Secondly, so that's where Parallax ran off to. And then there's Guy and Ganthet, who knows what those crazy kids are up to.

X-Men Legacy #235 ****
Can I get a hell yes. I feel like it is going to be like this for a while now, at least I hope so, where I gush about how great this even has been. And I know that all you naysayers out there are shaking your heads at, yet another Marvel X-Men event. Well let me tell you something, man up dudes. As fun as Siege has been (which I will slightly touch on in my Young Avengers Siege tie-in review later,) Second Coming is well on it's way to becoming the Marvel event of the year. And yes, that is including the S.H.I.E.L.D. mini-series event, SIEGE, the return of Thanos, Necrosha, and whatever else the folks at Marvel have in store for us.

The New Mutants are able to defeat Hodge and his army of Smiley faced robots with a little bit of help from the one and only Warlock, who is able to find out that our boy Cable is being tracked by the virus that runs through his veins. Cable and Hope, by the way, are holed out in what can only be described as the lonely place where trailers get sent when they die. On the verge of being annihilated by more anti-mutant mortals, who by the way, any one else sick of them?Lucky for Cable and Hope, Logan and his team arrive in just enough to save them. Deciding it would be for the  best, Cable and Hope split up. Cable with Logan's wrecking crew and Hope with Nightcrawler and a newly enhanced Rogue. First of all, how great is a multi-powered Rogue. And dude, who knew that anything about the X-team short lived new transporter? I can say only that, she was only with us for a short time and even then I only knew little about her. I would like to say that she will be missed, but I'm not sure by who.

X-Factor #204 ***
I was wondering just how these folks would be tying into Second Coming, seeing as unlike the rest of the Mutant race they've chosen to remain in the U.S.. Turns out that doesn't particular matter to Bastion, who is hellbent on eradicated the mutant gene from the face of the planet. (Although, why doesn't he think the mutant gene will just reappear? It's not like mutants haven't been born to non-mutants before.) The X-Force are hired on a false investigation that leads to what appears to be the death of three of the members. On the other side of the world two more members of the team are attacked by more humans, those pesky, weaklings will never learn.

I thought that this was a pretty good tie-in. I am intrigued with the cliff hanger at the end. I enjoyed the writing and the artwork. i thought that it was brilliant how the writer incorporated Guido and Monet being in that other country. Overall it may not have been as strong as the Second Coming main story, but that's really okay.

Siege: Young Avengers ****
How great was this tie-in. As a more recent admirer of the Young Avengers, I thought that this tie-in was really good. While I don't care for Eli so much,  I do like Kate Bishop, who totally saved that portion of the issue. Stature and Vision didn't make an appearance. I loved Billy, Teddy, and Tommy's scenes. That page with Tommy saving all those people, awesome. And afterwards when he was criticizing himself, it just felt genuine. This kid reminds me of his uncle. Then there's Teddy and Billy and their overall awesomeness. Not only are they one of the coolest couples in comics, but they've just got a great chemistry. Billy's scene talking about his dad? So sad. If you don't know who the Young Avengers are, I suggest you do something about that.

Supernatural #4 ***
The series is almost at an end, two more issues (which is slightly odd because there are only two more episodes for the season,) and more and more I am despising Winchester the elder. I mean, who the hell shoots his son, oh I'm sorry I mean nicks his son. After taking his food! i think this series has been great, a load of fun. The writer and artists have been doing a great job especially maintaining the characters' personality. And what a cliffhanger, can't wait to see what happens. I expect Dean will come to the rescue, as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment