Thursday, May 26, 2011

I think you're probably too young and too stupid to be scared.

Generation Hope #7 ***
Writer: Kieron Gillen
Artist: Salvador Espin
Cover Artist: Salvador Espin and Morry Hollowell
Publisher: Marvel

I can't exactly put into words what it is about this series that isn't grabbing onto me. I think a large part is that I find these characters to be tremendously boring. The lights, who I still find to be highly unoriginal, are just so cutoff from the rest of the X-Men, both emotionally and physically. Normally I wouldn't really have a problem with a team that works independently, but let's get one thing straight, this gang is a team of kids. I don't understand what direction the writers are trying to go with this series, but I'm still hoping that we get an inkling of that sometime soon.

Namor First Mutant Annual #1 **1/2
Writer: James Asmus
Artist: Max Fiumara and Norman Lee
Cover Artist: Black Frog
Publisher: Marvel

Oh my word, the art in this issue is painful to say the least. The humans are distorted and awkward looking, in an almost unbearable manner. In contrast, however, the aliens and other monsters did look good. Overall, I thought this entire story is forgettable, though this issue did wrap things up nicely. My favorite part of the book is when, in the middle of chaos and destruction, Captain America tells Hope she's being spoiled and stupid. Ain't that the truth?

Uncanny X-Force #10 ****
Writer: Rick Remender
Artists: Billy Tan and Rich Elson
Cover Artists: Esad Ribic
Publisher: Marvel

This book comes with a frequency that is almost unmatched (except I think X-Factor.) It feels like there's a new issue every two weeks, and believe me I am not complaining in the slightest. Remender is creating quite the story here with this book. I love the way everything connects back to his first arc. The direction it is headed in, a return to the Age of Apocalypse, is so freaking awesome, I can't wait. The art continues to impress, Tan is doing a remarkable job with it.

X-23 #10 ****
Writer: Marjorie Liu
Artists: Sana Takeda
Cover Artists: Kalman Andrasofszky
Publisher: Marvel

After dealing with the wreck of a situation in Madripoor, X-23 and Gambit have made it to Paris. When Gambit learns of Laura's suicide attempt, he quickly calls in some reinforcements. Laura has had a devastatingly tragic life and this series has been doing a great job of transforming her from a mindless killer into a regular person. Logan brings Jubilee to Paris with him and that brings up a very interesting question: what would happen to Logan, X--23, Daken, or any other person with healing powers, if they were drained dry by a vampire. Liu is doing a fantastic job with this book and I can't wait for more.

X-Factor #219 ****1/2
Writer: Peter David
Artists: Emanuela Lupacchino and Guillermo Ortego
Cover Artists: David Yardin
Publisher: Marvel

I feel as if this book doesn't get all the of the acclaim it deserves. The team is still working on Mayor Jameson's job, but they're not happy that the old fart is keeping secrets from them. They learn about the experiments that were done on the three assassins are able to locate and track them down just in time to save Black Cat. What you should take from this arc is that Monet St. Croix is a bad ass lady. I didn't know her really well before reading X-Factor but man is she great. There's also something going on with Guido and Layla and I am definitely intrigued. I've liked Layla since she first appeared and I love her role in the series.

X-Men Giant-Size #1 ****1/2
Writer: Chris Yost
Artists: Paco Medina, Dalibor Talajic, Juan Vlasco
Cover Artists: Simone Bianchi and Paco Medina
Publisher: Marvel

Chris Yost is back at the helm of an X-book (this one segues into the next X-Men arc) and it looks like the arc will be fantastic. This issue marks the introduction of the Evolutionaries, powerful beings meant to preserve the natural balance of things. They had previously encountered the X-Men before, but the team had apparently been made to forget that encounter. The writing is great; the story flows effortlessly. The art in this book is really great as well. Everything about this series makes me believe that the upcoming arc in X-Men will be great.

X-Men Prelude to Schism #2 ****
Writer: Paul Jenkins
Artists: Andrea Mutti
Cover Artist: Giuseppe Camuncoli
Publisher: Marvel

These prelude books have been fantastic reads, in my opinion. They're doing a great job of setting up for Schism which is coming out later on in the year. Normally I would think that a book that is meant to set up an event is almost pointless, however, if these books are any indication of how good Schism will be, I am totally on board. This story revolves around Magneto and his relationship with Scott. It starts off with Magneto, or Max, and his family in Germany moving on to the first time he encounters Scott. The best part about these books are that they are character and relationship based. So far the two have been about two of the most powerful mutant leaders of the past and their relationship with the current leader.

Last Mortal #1 ****
Writer: John Mahoney and Filip Sablik
Artists: Thomas Nachlik
Cover Artist: Thomas Nachlik
Publisher: Marvel

This is a new series that comes highly recommended by my comic book shop. The basis of the story is that the protagonist, Alec, is wracked with guilt over his friend's death, but when he attempts to kill himself he finds out that he can't die. The writing was strong, the story is interesting, and the direction the story is going in is also great. The art was really nice as well. Though, the fact that it's black and white sort of irks me. Not to say that I think it's ugly or anything, but after seeing the cover, I would have liked to see more of that color on the interiors, even if it was just the characters in colors with black and white backgrounds.

1 comment:

  1. X- Factor, X-Force, and X-23 were the best reads this week.

    X-Men Giant-Size and X-Men Prelude to Schism were much better reads then I thought they would be. I thoroughly liked them

    I, unlike you, liked Generation Hope this week, it was a fun read.

    And I thought Last Mortal started off great. I can't wait to see what they do with it.

    ReplyDelete