Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Gashapon Reviews: June 22, 2010

Yeah, that's right.  Reviews that are almost a month late.  It's how I roll. 

Marvel:

X-Men Legacy #237 ***

I'm torn because on the one hand I think the Cypher/Master Mold fight ended way too soon, but on the other I'm not sure I wanted it dragged out.  And I think this sort of reflects my general feelings about the event.  I like the event as a whole, but issue to issue I just feel like it's lacking.  There are things that interest me, without a doubt, but I haven't been blown away by anything that's happened yet.  Arnab and I had a conversation comparing Second Coming to Blackest Night, and it made me realize that several times during Blackest Night I put down the issue going "Holy shit, that just happened" whereas with Second Coming it's "Well, no surprises here."  I don't want to sound jaded, because I do enjoy this series.  I think it's more an issue that I had such high expectations and they're not exactly being met.



X-Factor #206 ***1/2

I love X-Factor, and I love that they're finally back together.  It's been far too long.  I'm definitely ready for the next arc to kick off and I just hope they can act like a whole unit for a little bit.  I just don't have much more to say than this.

Avengers #2 ***

I love me a good time-travel/alternate futures story.  And I find I really like Marvel Boy or Nohvarr or whatever the hell his name is now.  I'm still so new to the Avengers-verse, but I'm glad they gave me such a nice jumping on point.

DC

Return of Bruce Wayne #3 ***1/2

Well I certainly liked this one more than the Puritan one.  I'm not sure how much of that was due to the art and how much of it was due to the fact that this was one of the least needlessly cerebral stories I've read by Grant Morrison.  This one seemed to have a very concise story that is tying together all of his previous adventures, and damn Morrison for getting me hooked on whatever this disaster is that Bruce is going to unleash.  The only thing I'm not intrigued by is the fact that Jonah Hex is in the next book.  That could be directly proportional to the movie looking like a hot mess.  I think this mini-series will be a quite interesting marker in Batman's history.

Green Lantern Corps #49 ***1/2

I have no idea what it is about this story, but I kind of love it.  I'm always kind of a sucker for stories where some group of 'good guys' is actually plotting behind the scenes, and Cyborg Superman is one of my favorite villains for no good reason I can name.  I especially liked the last scene where John Stewart was on the slab, partly because I think it's a fun cliffhanger and partly because I don't like John Stewart.  There was nothing unexpected in this comic, and I know I usually bitch about predictability, but sometimes it just works. 

Superman #700 ***

This got 3 stars only because it was a landmark issue. Otherwise, I didn't think any of the stories were particularly strong, and as much as I love JMS I find this whole "Grounded" storyline to be stupid.  This crazy woman expected Supes to save her husband?  It's not a big enough hook for me.  Let's have like a burning school bus or something.  This is parroting a critique I heard elsewhere, but it just feels like they're shoe-horning in this desire to have Supes get back with the people, and the whole thing is awkward for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment