Friday, July 16, 2010

Gashapon Reviews: July 7, 2010

This is my last backed-up review post, and then I'm current with this week.  Sorry for the inundation, but it's been a big couple of weeks that I didn't want to skip.

Marvel

Children's Crusade #1 *****

I never give things 5 stars, and I don't even know if non-comic readers would like this, but I'm just so happy that Young Avengers is back.  Yes, I'm a biased fanboy. I've always loved their dynamic, and while I don't care for Eli overly much I think this new story arc where they try to find the Scarlet Witch could be very, very cool.  I like the quippy humor and I find Wiccan and Hulkling to be endearing.  To be a little bit more objective, I really do think this storyline has potential to affect the whole Marvel U. if it's handled properly (and the creators have had several years to figure out what 'properly' means).  Plus, I like the art. 


X-Force #28 ***1/2

I'm so torn about what to write about this.  Because on one hand I enjoyed the issue, but on the other I could have written the entire thing six weeks ago.  Spoiler Alert: Cable dies causing Hope to 'activate' or whatever the correct verb is.  The battle where she kicked the shit out of Bastion using about twenty different powers was cool, and the art was certainly pretty, and I'm a sucker for Phoenix fire, but it just seems too easy on the part of the writers.  I'm not sure if it's a lack of emotional build-up, or if my expectations were just far too high for a series I care about this much (Good money is on a mix of the two), but I just wanted something more.  One thing I can't wait for is all the Phoenix drama to start unraveling between Scott and Emma.  Picking up the pieces from this event should make for good fodder for a good several months, and that has me excited.

X-Men #1 ***

I have such a bias walking into this that I'm not sure how objective my review will be.  I've said before flat-out that I think this Vampire thing is a cheap ploy by Marvel to play off Vampire hysteria, and I kind of resent it.  Of course it's possible that it's just a coincidence Marvel is releasing 10 vampire related titles within a few months of the new Twilight film.  It's also possible Cable will never come back from the dead.  All that said, the issue wasn't bad.  They're clearly trying to set-up a mystery as to why the Vampires are in San Fran, and I'll go with it for now.  I'm mildly happy that Jubilee is back, although I find it ironic that the sparkly mutant is now a vampire.  I'll keep reading just because Nate Grey shows up soon.

Scarlet #1 ****

I didn't realize how much I liked Brian Michael Bendis until I read this.  I had an idea before, with all of his one-liners during Avengers, but this sells it for me.  The book is about a young woman (Scarlet) who realizes that the world is broken, and she decides to fix it.  It's a dark story about just how fucked-up the world really is, and by the end of the issue you can't help but root for her.  Not because she does heroic stuff (she kills a guy in the first panel), but because unfortunately for us she's right.  She's doing what we all wish we could sometimes.  The art is very distinctive, and I think it works for this title.  I'll definitely be picking up issue two, and as issue one sold out I can't imagine I'm the only one.

DC

Brightest Day #5 **1/2

I have the same thing to say about this that I always say.  The story is good, and I'm always left wanting more.  The problem is I'm left wanting more because I don't feel like I really got anything, as opposed to wanting more because the story is just that good.  I knew it was only a matter of time before someone tried to use Deadman to bring back everyone, so that wasn't particularly interesting.  The Hawks stranded in the Furry-verse is sort of interesting, but I don't like cat people outside of Thundercats.  I don't even remember what else happened in this issue, and it was just last week.  It's only a matter of time before this gets cut from my pull list and I wait for the Trade to come out, because I think the collected edition will be a really awesome read with a great payoff.

Batman and Robin #13 **

The art, sweet god the art.  I cannot get over it.  I hated it from start to finish, and it completely affected my ability to enjoy the story (which is actually quite complex and interesting, if traditionally overly-cerebral in Grant Morrison's way).  I appreciated the symmetry of Damian hitting the Joker with a crowbar, even if it flies in the face of what Batman does.  I also enjoyed the tease about Dick getting shot, and the emphasis on how different Dick and Bruce are in the suit.  I however think I am over Bruce's seemingly invincible fake-father.  I would like him to stay dead.

Red Robin #14 ***

While I'm not sure exactly what Damian expects, it does kind of suck to not be trusted.  That being said, Tim needs some better passwords.  I continue to enjoy this series a great deal, as we watch Tim's apparently hugely complex plan unfold.  I especially like the scenes between Tim and Dick, where we see just how close they really are.  That disappeared for a bit after Bruce died, and it's nice that it's back.

1 comment:

  1. Earlier today Arnab and I were in our comic book store and we were at the variant covers section and I saw a comic book that seemed to be Batman something but was being blocked by another comic. I moved the other comic to see the Batman one and as soon as I did I gasped and Arnab hurriedly told me to recover the issue. It turns out it was Batman and Robin #13. The art hurts me, it really does.

    I'm also glad that the Red Robin issue brought back more Dick and Tim scenes, it's so strange when they're out of sorts with one another.

    Children's Crusade was a fun read. I think Wiccan and Hulkling are quiet endearing myself and Wiccan's brother dude always makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete