Sunday, March 7, 2010

You ever been to New Krypton?

So this was supposed to be a light week and for the most part it was.

First Wave #1 **1/2
So I got this because on of my comic book store's owners said it was the best of the week. He's not one of the usual guys I deal with but he's nice enough. That being said, I was not very impressed. I mean, by al rights I know I should be. I mean DC has been building this new series up like nothing else, what with the preview being in nearly every DC issue I've picked up in the past two weeks. Here's what I've got for you. One, there was no Batman. And I'm in no way implying that all comics in existence need Batman, not that that wouldn't be awesome, but if he's going to be on the cover he could at least make an appearance. I mean, c'mon! That aside, I didn't find the plot to be overall all too exciting. It didn't make me want to read more. Doc Savage's plot wasn't all to interesting to be honest. Plus it didn't help that I kept mixing up his amigos. The Spirit was amusing, but his plot wasn't exciting. My comic book store has different issues that are returnable every week. This was one of them and while I toyed with the idea of returning it, I ended up not doing so.

Adventure Comics #9 ***1/2
I wouldn't particularly consider this an amazing issue or great even. However, I do think it serves it's purpose. With the Last Stand of New Krypton arriving next week, this serves as a great tie-in as well as a fairly informative issue. Brainiac 5, who I confused with his ancestors because they are all named something-dox, was pretty interesting. I did have to wikipedia him because other than Legion of Three Worlds I know next to nothing about him. Granted, it was interesting to find out that without the Legion's help Superman will die. Conner and Mon-El finally get together with the Legion. It was a tad shocking when Con's teacher ripped open his shirt. The darndest thing happened though, as I was looking up Legion of Three Worlds, I realized that Mon-El was there in the future, looking as young as ever. So that begs the question, is that the same Mon-El or is a different universe Mon-El? Also, if that's the same Mon-El, then clearly he does not die. It's times like this that I wish I knew someone that read everything I read. The final story was about a Kryptonian gal who has infiltrated General Lane's ranks. Good for her, at least the Kryptonian's will have one Ace.

Walking Dead #70 ***1/2
So this technically came out last week, but at that time I wasn't sure how I was planning on reviewing this series. As you can tell, I chose to review them by issue. I may make a separate review specifically to catch up from issues 1-69 in the near future. So this issue was pretty interesting. Rick and the gang are are at a new community, which is surprising seeing as the world has gone to hell. Rick with his new haircut, odd, Carl playing football and being happy, awesome. I don't know what to say about this new group of people. I want things to go well, but naturally I have my doubts. I am especially weary as to the past of these new folk.

No comments:

Post a Comment