Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Can't a guy just show his kids how much he loves them?

Batman 697 ****1/2
What is there left to say about Tony Daniel that I have not been saying from day one. This issue marked the culmination of Tony's first major story, along with the culmination of Dick's first major takedown as the new Batman. Tony Daniel has been doing a tremendous job bringing out Batman in Richard and vice versa. The writing has been progressively getting better with each issue that Tony pens and his artwork has remained amazing. He's been going so great doing both the writing and the artwork, that I wouldn't want to be the writer/artist that is missing their deadline.
There are a couple of key points that should be taken away from this issue. The first is that Dick Grayson is badass. Now, taking into consideration that this was a job that Dick didn't even want to take to begin with, he has taken over for Bruce at a level that is nearly, if not already, That being said, it was particularly ocious in this issue that Dick will be a different kind of Batman, and Dic Grayson Batman. I'm looking to see how things tie up on Selina Kyle's part.

I still stick with this title being one of the best titles out there right now and anyone not reading it is severely missing out on everything.



Titans 23 ****
As my faithful readers should know by now, I do not regularly read Titans, however, as you can see I did pick up this issue. With Roy Harper still in the hospital due to the events of Cry for Justice and with Garth dead after the events of Blackest Night, the original Teen Titans are no more. This issue contains flashbacks of their time together, naturally depicted scenes that spotlight Roy. And while I do know bits and pieces of his past, this issue did a great job of filling in some pbits and pieces. More importantly the issue showed the bond that exists between the 5, now four, of them, albeit Roy did have a rocky start (which is actually something I did not know). This was a great tie in to the Rise of Arsenal

Supergirl ***1/2
Other than the slightly misleading cover, this issue was pretty good. I always like a story that doesn't require me to read an additional four or in order get the whole picture. There are couple of things that I feel necessary to explicitely mention. The biggest issue I have with this title is Supergirl's willingness to act before she thinks. Let me make sure it is clear that I do not hold any grudge against Supergirl like I do Batgirl. However, Kara's willingness to hit people she deems her friends has me questioning her definition of the word.
On a separate note, I am very much enjoying Conner, Mon-E, and the Legion coming to the aid of New Krypton, seeing as neither of them are truly Kryptonian. Con's half, but that doesn't really count.

Green Arrow 31 ****
Before I get any further with my review, and this will sound strange, I am really enjoying the release dates for this whole series. Now, onto comics. I've been really enjoying this series, so much that I can't wait till the Rise of Arsenal comes out this week. But back to Green Arrow. I find Ollie is reverting back to his old ways, making reckless decisions, Conner Hawke put it best when he told his father that he's forgiven him for his actions too many times in the past that h no longer has any room, or time for that matter, to forgive Ollie. That being said, I do not exactly think the worst of Ollie. I think that it is very clear why he did what he did and quite frankly without being in the exact situation, it's hard to say whether or not I would have reacted in the same manner. I found the fight scene between Ollie and Barry, Hal and Dinah to be fairly amusing, if not tragic.
The writing in this is great as well. I'm finding JT Krul to be capturing the essence of the characters and bringing it out full force. I will also take this time to mention that tomorrow Wednesday March 24, JT Krull will be at a signing at my local comic book shop Collector's Paradise from 4-8pm. For those of you not in my area, well you guys can just suck it. The oxygen.

Supernatural 3 ***
This wasn't the best issue of the series so far, but it was ok. The writing has been spot on and I can feel the tension building up to what I know will happen. (Remember this is the prologue to the actual show, of which I am a huge fan.) The art, however, was not as strong as the first two issues, which I find strange because it is listed as the same artists, albeit with an additional one. Regardless, good issue, however there was almost a filler like quality to it.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree that Batman is one of the better titles I read. The artwork is wonderful, not like some of the artwork in other comics I've seen, and it's consistently wonderful, thankfully. The writing is captivating and I love Tony Daniel's portrayal of Dick Grayson as Batman, he is definitely a force to be reckoned with.

    ReplyDelete