Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sweet dreams, Sunshine

The Rise of Arsenal ****1/2
What a way to start off this mini-series. The very first thing you see when you start reading is Lian, Roy Harper's now deceased daughter. And what a way for both the writer, JT Krull and the artists, Geraldo Borges and Marlo Alquiza to dig that knife just a little deeper. We witness some of the final moments of poor Lian's life, the attack by Prometheus, the mutilation of Roy, and that's just the beginning. Roy then awakes from his coma and not only realizes that his right arm is missing but that his daughter has been killed. Roy is leaves the League and ends up at the home he only recently shared with his daughter.
This was a great issue. The artwork was nice, the writing was great, but even more importantly the whole issue just meshed well. Roy has always had a bit of a tragic life. Nothing in comparison to the Bat folk, who are surrounded by death, but rather personal tragedy. I can honestly say, I am stoked to see how this turns out.



Streets of Gotham #10 **** 1/2
Finally, Paul Dini is back on the Streets of Gotham and he comes back with a bang. This is a great title that doesn't get as much credit as it deserves. Paul Dini's ability to weave a story so effortless is such a great asset to this title; he was missed during his absence. But couple with the great writing is some fabulous artwork at the hands of Dustin Nguyen, who I think is doing a stand up job with his fairly unique techniques, not to mention his covers are fucking amazing, pardon the language.
This issue doesn't even really have Batman, other than a memory and a mention. Tony Daniel's run on Batman has, in my opinion, been a focus on the way Dick is handling taking over the cowl. Grant Morrison's run on Batman and Robin has been a focus on the dynamic duo's interaction as well as developing Damian as a character. And Paul Dini's run with Streets of Gotham and Gotham City Sirens has been an attempt to explore the depths of Gotham, that don't necessarily require both Batman and Robin. In this issue Dini continues to build up Damian as a character. In the past, with Morrison's work, there has always been a calculating ruthlessness to Damian. However, at the hands of Dini, Damian has evolved into the self proclaimed protector of the youth, quite like the Robins before him. The issue also introduces what very well could be Gotham's newest crime fighter, Abuse. Who is he? Well you've just got to read it to find out. Meanwhile, Robin may have bit of more than he could chew, as with even all of his training with the League of Assassins he can barely touch Zsasz. Stay tuned for the rest of the story, I know I will be.
Forget to mention Manhunter, my apologies. This is definitely one of the better second features that are running around DC comics. Kate Spencer and Two-Face continue to go toe-to-toe in this mini. Honestly, while it is overall a good mini, I've got to say I'm just slightly more interested in Kate's son Ramsey, the meta-human child with a pet robot dog, who is on his way to Gotham via train hopping.

Superman #698 ***
This was a pretty good issue, not as great as some of the other ones in this series, let alone this week. That being said, there were a lot of good things about this issue. For one, we know Brainiac's game plan, sorta. What we do know is that Brainiac wants to learn how to feel, the way Supes feels. We know Mon-El's future is linked with city he just saved, or at least he thinks it is. And we know that Superman is starting to grow a bit of a resistance to that shiny green stone, also known as Kryptonite.
The best part about this issue? The artwork. There were two pencilers this issue, Bernard Chang and Javier Pina, and they did a bang up job. WIth the major events coming up in a couple of months time there is a necessity to have issues come out on time, which is why more and more issues are having multiple artists, regardless of what you think it is not because the people in charge enjoy seeing the art change every couple of pages. And I understand the necessity, I'm not always pleased. This issue, I think they both did a great job and strikingly different art styles at that.

Green Lantern #52 ****1/2
What a great set up to the grand finale and I definitely mean grand. Talking to Matt I know he's not pleased with Sinestro being, for now at least, the White Lantern Corps. And while I have no real opinion one way or another on that, I am a bit amused. But beyond that, this issue was fantastic. Seeing all the embodiments of the spectrum, the White Lantern's powers in action, the suspense of what's left to come. I want to keep this review short, great writing, great art, great lead into the finale this Wednesday.

Uncanny X-Men #522 ****1/2
To steal a line from DC, "Aw, yeah !" (Those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, I feel sorry for you) That being said, how awesome was this issue? Way awesome. Even knowing beforehand that Kitty was coming back (yeah, I said it, maybe shoulda said spoiler alert. Oh well,) this still was an exciting issue. Magneto's desire to show, not only that he has changed his ways but also, according to Emma, to praise Scott for his accomplishments have finally come to an end as he rips that bullet through space and saves the young Miss Pryde.
The artwork in this was fantastic. The artist, Whilce Portacio, did a superb job capturing the emotions and the absolute joy that could only be brought upon by Kitty's return. Hell even Emma was overjoyed. Matt Fraction has been doing a fantastic job with this title and has been since he signed on in my opinion. I can't wait to see what he's got for us with Second Coming. Those final pages were perfect in my opinion. They captured the calm and joy that some mutants were finally beginning to feel again, they captured the agony shared by Shadowcat and Colossus, they captured the toll that everything since House of M has taken on Scott, and it captured the calm before the oncoming storm. I say, bring it on.

X-Factor #203 ***
This was an ok issue, definitely not as great as the previous ones. But it definitely had it's moments. I don't know much about the majority of the X-Factor folk and even less about Monet St. Croix and Guido, but I can say this much, I hope that after Guido saves Monet he tells her he likes her, probably won't happen but it would be fun. Monet has been captured by some unknown assailant. There are in fact no dinosaurs in this issue. And the next issue starts up a Second Coming tie-in. I don't know when Strong guy and M's story will finish being played out, but I'll be here waiting.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been able to get my hands on X-Factor, which is why I haven't written my blog post yet.

    As regards GL #52: I'd probably give it 5 stars. Watching how all of the emotions developed was so very interesting, and seeing Sinestro's power was pretty incredible. I also loved the space battle with all the different Lanterns. I mean, they blew up a freaking planet. And my issue with Sinestro being the White Lantern Core is purely aesthetic: His pink skin with the white costume hurts my eyes. Oh, also, the white thing behind Sinestro in that panel you posted makes me think of Neon Genesis Evangelion, in not a good way.

    As regards Uncanny #522: I really enjoyed this issue. I forget how powerful Mags really is. I agree with you I liked the "calm before the storm" stuff at the end, with no dialogue. That's one thing comics can do that books can't, but they never do often enough. Definitely a great way to leave off before Second Coming turns the X-universe upside down and inside out.

    ReplyDelete