Tuesday, March 16, 2010

We have to stop him--before he kills again!

What a fabulous week in comics this was.

The Rise and Fall ****
I get around a lot, on the internet that is, and I've got to say that the lead into this story (JLA: Cry for Justice) has been getting mixed reviews. I read it and I thought it was good stuff and quite frankly, this issue did not disappoint. Let me run you through it.
Green Arrow has been driven to murder with the destruction of Star City (his city for those of you not in the know), the dismemberment of his son (Red Arrow-Roy Harper), and the death of his granddaughter Lian. Who could blame him really. Apparently the readers of the world and the JLA. In this book, a one shot by the way that will lead into two four part mini series, Ollie has returned to Star City in the hopes of finding and killing the Electrocutioner (the man that set off the bomb that killed 90,000.) And while the Black Canary prevents him from doing so, she is interrupted by Green Arrow and the Flash who have just found out Ollie has killed. This was a pretty good one shot. I feel that JT Krul, a relative newcomer, has captured the characters very well. Personally, I don't particularly have too much of a problem with Ollie killing Prometheus. I know as superheroes you're not supposed to kill, but there are exceptions to every rule, why not this one. I for one am very excited for boy The Rise of Arsenal and The Fall of Green Arrow.
Now the artwork. I don't particularly understand the purpose of multiple artists to a book, other than I guess maybe it's for time constraints and deadline purposes. That being said, there were three artists to this book: Diogenes Neves, Mike Mayhew, and Fabrizio Florentino. I haven't heard of two of them, but I have encountered Diogenes before (Blackest Night Green Arrow and New Mutants,) and will continue to praise him. Of the other two, one was very good and the other was decent, only time will tell me which was which.

Last Stand of New Krypton #1 ****
I need Last Stand of New Krypton and the following, War of Supermen, to be a great series. I say this because I've never been a die hard Superman fan. As a character I've always felt that he's had this over the top boy scout feel, suffice to say I was not impressed. On the contrary Superboy is one of my favorite characters and I've really enjoyed newcomers Christoper and Mon-El, Thara is decent and Kara tends to be more annoying than anything else. That being said, I shall proceed.
This issue was decent. It wasn't the greatest thing I've read this week, but there was definitely some great stuff in it. General Zod sacrificing his men in attempt to destroy Brainiac's ship, ruthless. Ending up not making a dent but killing hundred of his own soldiers instead, tragic. I find it odd that Superman goes around all the time wearing his Superman outfit under everything he wears. Conner and Mon-El blasting in with the Legion of Superheroes was pretty damn awesome. Zod ordering there arrests, however, was not. I think the best scene though was when Superman is able to penetrate Brainiac's ship, using his past encounter as a model, only to be shot by Lex Luthor. and while you may think I'm a psycho, let me explain why this was the best scene. Nearly all superheroes in the existence of time have a couple major enemies. For Supes it has always been Lex Luthor and Brainiac. And while the readers were aware of Luthor's involvement, I thought it was only fitting for Clark to find out that on the eve of devastation, his two greatest enemies have joined together.

And as a complete side note. Lois Lane is pretty bad ass and believe you me, I don't throw that phrase out just for anybody. I mean with one press of the button she can have the U.S. Army, the President of major companies, or even the JLA or the JSA at her side ready to take orders at a moment's notice. She is one lady you do not want to anger.

Batman and Robin #10 ****1/2
Now this is the Grant Morrison I've come to love. As I've mentioned in my previous Batman and Robin reviews, this series has been great except for the minor blip that was the previous story. This book was action packed. Bruce Wayne leaving clues throughout time, a hidden Bat Cave, Damien being brain washed and manipulated by his conniving mother, Dick being awesome. I think it's great that Bruce has so much faith in his minions to have these outrageous clues in hopes that they cans solve them. I feel bad for Damien, yes I said it, for having what could possibly be the worst mother in the history of time. Can't wait for The Return of Bruce Wayne.
I think that it is safe to say that Batman and Robin higher ups, maybe even Grant Morrison, are making a decisive effort to maintain a certain feel to the artwork in this whole title. Andy Clarke is yet another artist who likes his human figures to be more clay-like than muscle-toned. That being said I did find his technique to be pretty awesome.

Batgirl #8 ****
So began, or is it technically continued, the reunited efforts of Stephanie Brown and Timothy Wayne. Ex-lovers, ex-sort of partners, ex-friends, or whatever they were. Timothy is back in town after his graceful defeat of the League of Assassins and Stephanie Brown is fresh off her near death incident and assistance of the Dynamic Duo. With Ra's hellbent on taking out everyone close to Tim, he rushes back to Gotham for help, only to find Stephanie Brown. This book was a lot of fun. The dialogue between Red Robin and Batgirl were witty and amusing; Bryan Miller has been great writing Batgirl. The artwork, which included a slew of guest artists Talent Caldwell, Yvel Guichet and John Stanisci, had it's share of issues and moments of awesomeness. Unfortunately for you guys, I have no idea who did what pages. As a result, I can only say that one artist was fabulous, another was okay, and the third was a tad wonky. That being said, this issue induced memories of old, when Dick and Barb would have cross-title story lines. Also to add, Stephanie Brown's interactions with Tim made her a much more likeable character, to me at least. And man is Timothy handy with scissors and fabric.

In other news, St. Nick is in fact back in our lives. And this time, by our I mean mine and Dick's.

Red Robin #10 ****
With revelations about Tim's journey coming out left and right, Pru's arrival, and the Ra's coming to Gotham, this issue was action packed. As he has been doing so regularly, Chris Yost has been doing an excellent job writing this book. I can't stand Vicki Vale and feel her coming back to Gotham can only mean bad things. Ra's is acting like a big baby, if you ask me. I get the distinct feeling Prudence has a thing for our little Timmy and to add Stephanie seems to be falling back in love. Thomas Elliot coming in is making me feel a bit antsy, but I'm hoping his greed is enough to reject Ra's. Did I mention that I'm totally digging this cross-title mini-series? The artwork in this, Marcus To, is in my opinion getting better every issue. And here's hoping Tammy Fox has an ounce of secrecy and intelligence her father Lucius is overflowing with. Can't wait for the conclusion.

Nemesis: The Imposter #1 ***1/2
This was one of those last minute throw-ins courtesy of my Comic book guy. Walking around the store, I probably would have walked right pass this one, as the cover gives no indication whatsoever of the actual story. Turns out that this little bad boy, at least for now, is a Bat book. The book followed a fellow named Nemesis, who is driving a car with a gunshot victim passenger, the Joker. Ivan Brandon, who's another person I had not heard of prior to this issue, is pretty good writer. It flowed well and effortlessly, and certainly got me interested as to who this Nemsis is. The artwork by Cliff Richards was great stuff. It was overall a pretty good read. Consider me on the verge of being hooked. I say verge because I'm slowly running out of comic book funding.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it's because I just jumped in to the Rise and Fall one-shot, but I found the whole thing to be a little heavy handed. I don't know if I just don't know Green Arrow well enough to be shocked that he would kill someone, but I found myself to be remarkably unconcerned about it. Like, "Oh, ok, Green Arrow killed a guy. Moving on." I think part of my problem is I kind of feel like a one-shot should make you want to read more, and this one didn't really. I guess I can't get involved in every arc that comes along.

    Off to read Adventure Comics 8 and Last Stand 1.

    ReplyDelete