Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Time to get between a man and his meal

Uncanny X-Men #529 ***
Writer: Matt Fraction
Artist(s): Whilce Portacio and Harvey Tolibao
Cover Artist: Terry Dodson and Rachel Dodson
Publisher: Marvel

This was a decent issue. Nothing great about it, in fact, it was a little too uneventful. Emma enlists Phantomex to get Sebastian Shaw off of Utopia. Hope, Rogue, and the first three mutants to appear after Hope find the fourth mutant. Scott and Logan seemingly find the fifth mutant, who may be a killer. I am not sure if the Emma story line is over, which is what makes it weird. It's the end of the first arc, so it could really go either way. However, either way, the direction of that plot line feels a little out of place. So far, I'm not particularly liking these new mutants. Their power sets are too similar to some great, already established mutants and their personalities haven't won me over yet. The art was pretty good this week, though I'm sure no one will be sad to see Whilce go.

X-Men: Curse of Mutants - X-Men vs Vampires #2 **1/2
Writer(s): Mike Benson, Howard Chaykin, and Mike W. Barr
Artist(s): Mark Texeira, Howard Chaykin, and Agustin Padilla
Cover Artist: Nick Bradshaw and Jim Charalampidis
Publisher: Marvel

This issue pales in comparison to the first issue, in my opinion. There were four main stories, one involving Gambit, on involving Karma, the third involving Armor and Rockslide, and the final focusing on Angel. The Gambit story was pretty good actually, the writing at least. It was a nice story that alluded to things outside the story, namely his and Rogue's relationship. However, the art was not good. In fact, that was a recurring theme in these stories, bad art. Karma's story was decent. What it did well was remind me that she's a lesbian, while showcasing the fact that she's not completely useless. The Armor and Rockslide story, I feel, was meant to be just a fun story. Unfortunately for me, it didn't exactly pan out that way. The best portion of this issue was Angel's story. The plot was smart and interesting and the art was the best in the issue. It was nice seeing the internal struggle between Angel and the blackness inside of him.

X-Men Legacy #241 ***1/2
Writer: Mike Carey
Artist(s): Clay Mann, Tom Raney, Jay Leisten, and Sandu Florea
Cover Artist: Leinil Francis Yu
Publisher: Marvel

From the first three issues of the arc, my gut thought was that this would be a disaster. However, I actually found myself liking this issue quite a bit. Trapped in an otherworldly spacecraft both Rogue and Magneto are able to overpower their captors. The younger X-Men were actually likeable in this issue, whereas in the past I found them to be annoying and useless. Here, they acted more like X-Men and less like children. I think it will be interesting to see how Indra handles all of the violence in future issues. The art was quite nice in this issue and had a very similar feel to the art in House of M.

My DC reviews can be read here!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not loving any of the X-Men series right now. I agree that Legacy got better in this last issue, but overall it just seemed a very random story arc. I do like Indra more than I thought I would, as you see him struggling.

    Uncanny is just meh. The art is so bad. And none of the characters really grab me yet. I like the speedster probably most of all, but he's apparently going to start aging. The "Wild Child" Teon does not interest me at all. Plus, I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop on who these people actually are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just don't understand why they are around and if the creative teams couldn't come up with different powers. I mean, a super speedster? Three isn't enough? Or what about Iceman and Pyro's lovechild.

    I especially found the feral mutant to be weird. I mean, Hope is his master? What?

    I think this is probably Fraction's worst arc in his entire run. And considering I do so very much enjoy his stuff, I hope it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This weeks X-men issues were not impressive and were barely interesting. I'm hoping all the X-men stories start to get more interesting.

    The X-men Legacy cover you've pictured is super awesome and, as usual, super misleading.

    ReplyDelete