Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Superman/Batman - Apocalypse

Stop the presses, I'm writing a review. After a three month absence, I am back.  I have no idea for how long, but at least there is virtual proof that I am not dead.

So anyway, back to the review.  Last week I watched the new direct-to-DVD animated film "Superman/Batman - Apocalypse."  And I gotta say, it was kind of awesome.  First things first, though: this movie should be called "Trinity - Apocalypse" because Wonder Woman has just a big a role as either Bruce or Clark.  And I'm not gonna lie, her kicking ass plays a big part into why I like the film. 

I'm having "Necrosha" deja-vu, but Arnab says I'm crazy



The movie opens with Kara (aka Supergirl) crashing to Earth.  Superman rescues her from the cops and takes her to the Fortress of Solitude, where he tries to train her without much success.  Bats is suspicious because of something wrong with her DNA, but Clark ignores him.  Eventually Diana kidnaps Kara so that they can train her properly and she won't blow up a city by accident.  Meanwhile Harbinger is having all kinds of bad visions about Kara dying.  Turns out the visions are because Darkseid has found out about Supergirl and is intent on kidnapping her.  With the aid of a big Doomsday-clone distraction, he manages to grab Kara and brainwash her.  The DC Trinity teams up with Big Barda and heads off to Apokalips to rescue Supergirl and have the traditional climatic battle.

DC really knows how to do animated films now.  They managed to get Kevin Conroy and Tim Daly for Bats and Supes, which makes the damn film for me.  After growing up on the Batman and Superman animated series as well as Justice League, I just can't imagine anyone else doing these voices, and often complain vociferously when someone else does.  The animation was gorgeous (although they way they drew the upper-lips on the men was distracting for me, mainly cause I'm crazy).  They managed to add a lot of subtlety to facial expressions and movement, and captured the action better than they ever did in the cartoon series. 

It looks like he's pursing his lips to me.
The story itself wasn't exactly anything ground-breaking, but it was an enjoyable hour and a half to watch, and definitely recommended for any fans of the other DC-Animated works.  Pick it up if you get a chance!


1 comment:

  1. Just to clarify, when I said you were crazy, it was under the assumption that you meant the plot line of the movie was similar to Necrosha.

    I haven't watched this yet, which is bad of me but I haven't had the time. I will say, the artist that created the Superman on the cover seems like a different one than the second picture. I much prefer the one on the cover. Though, I understand why his appearance would change in the movie.

    ReplyDelete