Monday, October 25, 2010

Someone could be hurt. I need to check it out.

The Walking Dead #78 ***1/2
Writer: Robert Kirkman
Artist(s): Charlie Adlard and Cliff Rathburn
Cover Artist(s): Charlie Adlard and Cliff Rathburn
Publisher: Image

This issue had some really great moments to it, however I do feel that there were some issues. For the past couple of months Rick and the gang have been living fairly normal lives in the gated community they were brought to. This issue starts off on a somber note, with the three deaths from the last issue hanging over everyone's head. Meanwhile, outside the wall, we've witnessed a fairly gruesome gang of men slowly inching their way towards the gated homes. I actually feel that this whole situation settled itself a little too fast; it felt a tad rushed. However, what came out of it, was a great hint at what is to come. At the very end of the issue, there is a scene between Douglas and Rick that leaves Rick in a familiar role, but one that I had hoped he had left behind.

X-Factor #210 ***1/2
Writer: Peter David
Artist: Valentine DeLandro
Cover Artist(s): David Yardin and Frank D'Armata
Publisher: Marvel

After being conveniently missing from the previous issue, this issue is centered around Monet, Rictor, and Rahne. Monet's portion of the story is mainly a set up. She makes a fairly rash decision that will likely cause many problems for the entire X-Factor team, it has in fact already caused one death. Rictor and Rahne's situation, if you will, is a pretty ugly situation. My theory is that we, the readers, are meant to feel some form of sympathy towards Rahne, who has been dealt a mystical pregnancy to deal with on her own. However, the longer Rahne is portrayed as a lying, conniving, homewrecker (not to sound biased or anything) the less chance I think the character will be able to move on from this story line with any semblance of dignity or even any fans.

As usual, my DC reviews can be read at ComicAttack.net!

1 comment:

  1. The Walking Dead! I agree, I'm a bit wary about the conversation between Rick and Douglas because I too had hoped that Rick had left his leader role behind. Though, honestly, if I was in that town I'd only really trust Rick to be the leader. :)

    Rahne is ruining X-Factor for me. I hate her. I hate her. I hate her.

    ReplyDelete