Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I almost don't even care that you're about to start yelling at me

Avengers Children's Crusade #5 ****1/2
Writer: Allan Heinberg
Artists: Jim Cheung and Mark Morales
Cover Artists: Jim Cheung, Justin Ponsor, and Art Adams
Publisher: Marvel

This is without a doubt one of the best books coming out of Marvel right now. The only thing going against it is that it is bi-monthly, which means it won't be ending till November. Regardless, this issue, like all those that came before it, were fantastic. We get to see the return of not one, but two characters, though I care significantly more about one of them. Plus there's a slew of ridiculously beautiful battle scenes. With as much work and effort going into this, I just hope it makes a significant impact on the Marvel Universe as a whole.

Uncanny X-Men 534.1 ****
Writer: Kieron Gillen
Artists: Carlos Pacheco and Frank D'Armata
Cover Artists: Carlos Pacheco
Publisher: Marvel

Starting with this issue, Uncanny is getting a new writer, Kieron Gillen. Yall probably know him as the co-writer to the last arc and as the writer of Generation Hope. I haven't been overly impressed with the series, so we'll just have to wait and see. This issue was actually quite good. I liked the way it played out on two fronts, but it all fit in to one story. I don't remember Magneto being this powerful before, which I'm sure is going to come into play with this next arc and in the near X-Men future. The art in this was pretty good, but I'm definitely more excited that Terry Dodson will be back in the ongoing series.

Chew #18 ****1/2
Writer: John Layman
Artist: Rob Guillory
Cover Artist: Rob Guillory
Publisher: Image

Totally awesome. I loved the way this issue panned out. From the beginning flashback, where the government totally screwed up, the issue was great. The team of ass-kicking, huge breasted, animal loving women was awesome. And then the secret weapon at the end was all kinds of fabulous. This team is consistently coming out with hilarious, interesting, inventive new material. If you're not reading this, shame on you. Also, congratulations are in order because the series, writer, and artist have been nominated for an Eisner.

Nonplayer #1 ***1/2
Writer: Nate Simpson
Artist: Nate Simpson
Cover Artist: Nate Simpson
Publisher: Image

At the behest of my comic book store, I picked up this book. The story had an interesting concept but I wouldn't say it was one of the best first issues I've ever read, this month even (Undying Love was fantastic.) So the story is basically about a girl who spends a great deal of her time in an online realm. Interesting. Above all though, the art in this book was remarkable. Breathtakingly beautiful artwork. In fact, you all should pick up this book just for the art. 

My DC reviews can be read here: ComicAttack.net

2 comments:

  1. I'm very curious how they're going to integrate the events of Children's Crusade into the rest of the Marvel U, especially given how this issue ended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Children's Crusade has a a significant impact on the Marvel U. as well.

    Chew was fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete