Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What are we, the Uncanny Von Trapps?

Avengers: The Children's Crusade #2 ****
Writer: Allan Heinberg
Artist(s): Jim Cheung and Mark Morales
Cover Artist(s): Jim Cheung, Justin Ponsor, and Travis Charest
Publisher: Marvel

It truly is a shame that this title only comes out once every two months. I can't even fathom to imagine why this is the case, but it's unfortunate. In the previous issue Magneto arrived and introduced himself to his grandchildren for the first time. Before much could be accomplished however, the Avengers decided to invite themselves into the mix and attacked Magneto and the Young Avengers. Billy whisks them all off to Wundagore, the birthplace of Wanda and Pietro. Pietro arrives and after a bit of introduction to his nephews he goes after Magneto. This series is just fantastic. Billy and Teddy's relationship is awesome. Tommy and Pietro are like twin balls of energy. And the whole direction of the plot in general is great. I do wonder whether or not Stature and Vision will play a larger role in the future, their short conversation does lead one to believe they will. Same goes for Eli and Kate. I must say that I don't care for Eli even the slightest bit and am glad that Kate is the leader of this bunch. Also, I found it slightly strange that Wolverine seemed so accepting of the idea of killing a child. With the cliffhanger at the end, I'm totally stoked at what's going to happen next.

X-Men: Curse of Mutants - Smoke and Blood ***
Writer: Simon Spurrier
Artist: Gabriel Hernandez Walta
Cover Artist: Clayton Crain
Publisher: Marvel

This was actually a pretty good read. The art took a little while to get used to, there are still a couple of panels that I have no idea what happens in, but aside from that it was an overall good read. The science team, Dr. Nemesis, Dr. Rao, and Madison Jeffries, are on the scientific hunt for a cure to both the virus released in San Francisco as well as for vampirism in general. They have a specimen, who unfortunately escapes and goes on the rampage. Nemesis is able to figure out that the virus that was released was a telepathic virus and was able to subdue the monster. The story and plot reveal was done quite well in this issue. I enjoyed the interaction between Nemesis and Emma Frost as well. I think the science team is a great little addition to the X-books and I think that their stories are done right.

You can find my DC reviews at comicattack.net!

3 comments:

  1. The fact that The Children's Crusade only comes out every two months is upsetting. This issue was so fun! The scene where you got your quote was hilarious, I could not stop laughing. :) And the art's pretty great. I really like the Young Avengers, I wish there was more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite scene was when Teddy said something like "Do you think the Avengers are going to let us leave?" and Billy says "Do you think I care?" and Teddy says "Do you know how attracted to you I am right now?" and Billy is like "Hold onto that, cause I may teleport us into a mountain." I love this series so much, it's horrible waiting the two months for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved this! i particularly loved random quicksilver and the racing and the overarching shadow of house of M

    ReplyDelete